National Health Information System
The role of the National Health Information System (NHIS) is defined in Act No. 372/2011 Coll., on Health Services and Conditions of Their Provision (Act on Health Services), namely in § 70 par. 3.
NHIS is a unified nationwide information system designated for:
- processing data on the health status of the population, on activities of healthcare providers and on their economy, on healthcare professionals and other workers in health services, for the purpose of obtaining information about the extent and quality of provided health services, for their management and for creation of health policy,
- maintaining national health registries and processing data kept in the registries,
- maintaining the National Registry of Health Services Providers and the National Registry of Healthcare Professionals and processing data kept in the registries,
- performing and processing sample surveys on health status of the population, on health determinants, on the need and consumption of health services and satisfaction with the services and on expenditure on health services,
- the needs of science and research in the field of health, and
- processing the data listed under letters a) and d) for statistical purposes and for providing data and statistical information, including information provided to international institutions, in the extent determined by this or other legal regulations.
In compliance with § 70 par. 3 of the Act No. 372/2011 Coll., on Health Services and Conditions of Their Provision (Act on Health Services), the administration of the National Health Information System (NHIS) has been delegated to the Institute of Health Information and Statistics of the Czech Republic (IHIS CR). The extent of the mandate is defined in § 72 par. 1, letters a) to d) and f) of the above-mentioned Act.
As an organisational unit of the state delegated by the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic, the Institute is a component of the National Statistical Service and performs this activity according to Act No. 89/1995 Coll., on the National Statistical Service, as subsequently amended.
When processing personal data in the NHIS, the Institute proceeds in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation). The Institute does not provide personal data from the NHIS to any other subjects, except for cases explicitly stated by the legislation (such as § 8 par. 5 of the Act No. 141/1961 Coll., on Criminal Court Proceedings, the so-called Criminal Code).